Are Lash Lifts Safe? Everything You Need to Know
Dec 15, 2023
Are Lash Lifts Safe?
Lash lifts are safe and shouldn't damage your lashes. However, there are a few possible side effects that need to be taken into account. For example:
- Allergic reactions
- Eye health conditions
- Pregnancy specifications
- Lash loss
- Side effects caused by improper aftercare
What is Exactly Lash Lift
A lash lift is a cosmetic procedure that curls your existing eyelashes, making them look longer and fuller. It's a semi-permanent solution, which lasts around 6-8 weeks.
Lash Lift Process
Before getting into the potential side effects of lash lifting first we need to undestand the process. Here's brief explanation of lash lift procedure :
- Preparation: Your technician will cleanse your lashes to remove any makeup or oils, ensuring a clean surface for the lift.
- Shield Application: Silicone shields are applied to your eyelids to lift your lashes from the base. The size of the shield will determine the extent of the lift.
- Adhesive Application: Your natural lashes are carefully adhered to the shields, separating them and creating a lifted appearance.
- Lifting Solution: A lifting solution is applied to your lashes, which softens and molds them into the desired lifted shape.
- Setting Solution: After the lifting solution has processed, a setting solution is applied to lock in the lifted shape of your lashes.
- Tinting (Optional): If desired, a lash tint can be applied to darken and enhance the appearance of your lashes.
- Removal of Solutions and Shields: Once the desired lift is achieved, the solutions and shields are carefully removed from your lashes.
- Moisturizing: Your technician may apply a moisturizing or nourishing serum to your lashes to hydrate and condition them.
Some of the steps include special solutions which contain chemicals. These can be the reasons that cause allergic reaction or skin irritation which are presented further.
Potential Risks of Lash Lifts
According to Healthline.com there are a few side effects of lash lifts that everyone should be aware of. Here are a few examples:
#1. Allergic Reactions: Allergic reactions can happen because of specific chemicals used in the products. Here are a few symptoms that may indicate that you are having an allergic reaction:
- Redness around the eyes
- Swelling of the eyelids
- Rashes near the eye area
Pro Tip: A patch test can be a helpful way to understand how your skin of the eye-area might react to the lash lift solution.
#2. Overprocessing: If you leave the lifting solution on the eyelashes too long or repeat the treatment too often it will damage your eyelashes.
#3. The Risk of Developing Specific Eye Conditions: Lash lifting may also increase the risk of certain eye condition like blepharitis, an inflammation of the eyelids. To avoid it, it is highly recomennded to pay extra attention to eye hygiene.
#4. Problems During Pregnancy: Lash lifting during pregnancy is generally safe after first trimester but it’s recommended to consult your doctor first. Chemicals in lash lifts may have negative effects.
#5. Losing Lashes: If done incorrectly, lift lifts can lead to severe, long-lasting damage.
This highlights the crucial need for professional expertise or high-quality at-home lash lift kit, as to avoid negatice affect on lash growth and eye health.
#6. Improper Aftercare Caused Effects: Activities like rubbing your eyes, sleeping on your face, or getting your lashes wet within 24 hours of the procedure can not only ruin the lift but also lead to lashes fall out or breakage.
A few users on reddit also shared their experience after getting a lash lift:
Professional vs. DIY Lash Lifts: Safety Measures
Professional: Professional lash lifts are typically performed by trained technicians in a controlled and sterile environment. Professionals adhere to strict hygiene and safety standards, use quality products, and may conduct patch tests to identify potential allergic reactions before the full procedure.
DIY: DIY lash lifts carry a risk of user error, as individuals may lack the training and experience of a professional. Overprocessing, uneven lifts, or misuse of products are common risks. The quality of DIY kits may vary, and some may contain ingredients that can cause irritation or adverse reactions.
Make sure you opt for a trusted and professional at-home solution like Luxe Lashlift Kit which offers high-quality lash lift ingredients with clear instructions designed to minimize risks associated with at-home lash lifting.
Our deep dive into lash lifts shows they're generally safe but require awareness about allergic reactions, the risk of overprocessing etc.
At Luxe Cosmetics, we prioritize your lash health and beauty. And if you may be wondering "are lash lift kits safe?" we have your question answered by offering our top-notch, safe lash lift kit. We aim to provide a reliable, effective solution for beautiful lashes, balancing safety and elegance.
Josef Mohamed is a Content Marketer and Web Designer with over 6 years of experience.He brings a wealth of knowledge to his work, making him a reliable source for readers interested in practical insights about beauty.His writing style is straightforward, aiming to provide real facts and avoid common myths in the beauty industry.